The Church Notre-Dame of Antigny
Listed as Historical Monument in 1913
The church was built in the 11th century, perhaps even earlier, on a particularly ancient site. This location – which corresponds with the current village square and a part of the village center – was a vast necropolis, as proven by the discovery of many Merovingian sarcophaghi, to which the remembrance monument called Lantern of the Dead (13th century) is the tribute. The church is located not far from what formerly was the sanctuary of an important Gallo-Roman town and the former military road linking Poitiers to Bourges crossing the Gartempe river at Gué-de-Sciaux.
The Romanesque church was renewed several times in the course of centuries. Until the beginning of the 1990s, the nave’s walls were entirely covered with whitewash and faux painted. Several restoration campaigns spread out since then: they brought to light several superimposed layers of murals. These murals were then revealed and restorers were able to study their nature, extent and preservation state. The most preserved mural covers all the nave’s walls and dates from the 14th century.
Scenes from the upper parts of the north and south walls depict several episodes of the life of Jesus Christ while those of the lower parts depict the life of saints (example: The Charity of St Martin, north wall). On the inside of the façade spreads out a representation of the Last Judgement.
The Chapel of Sainte-Catherine
Constructed in the beginning of the 15th century, the Chapel of Sainte-Catherine opens onto the choir, south of the church. Its pointed barrel vault and walls were decorated, a work financed by the Lord Jean de Moussy (1433-1510), at the end of this period. Inside a narrow space, the program depicts in a detailed way the Childhood of Jesus Christ, the Passion, the Last Judgement and the Christ in Majesty. These murals, listed as Historical Monuments in 1875 and 1913, were restored in 1985. These murals, painted in a quite unsophisticated technique, can be related to popular art in some ways. The scene of “The Three Living and the Three Dead” resembles the one painted in Jouhet.
This church is open in the presence of tour guides (reservation required for groups).
Information: 05 49 84 30 00.